1 Corinthians 3: 1 – 11
“And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.”
Today let’s examine our foundation. Some say they are Christians, but they show no fruit. A Christian is a Christ follower but some aren’t following in thought, word or deed. What then is the basis for what we say and do?
Jesus said, “Why call me Lord, Lord and do not do the things I say.” “If you love me, keep my commandments.” We must know the Word and be obedient. I say it this way, what part of the “thou shalt not” do you not understand. They are not to keep us from having fun but for our benefit to bring freedom and success without sorrow. The principles, commands, statutes, and laws of God are for our good.
When the foundation is right it affects every aspect of our life; we treat others right; there is no envy, strife or division. When our foundation is sure we have courtesy, compassion, honesty, justice and temperance. We speak life to family and friends. We edify one another.
When we build on the right foundation, our walk and talk will match. It can’t be a statement at the beginning of our conversation or a tag at the end of our prayer. Our lips and our hips must line up. Let this be the start of stability in our foundation.
With that in mind, there are some things you need to know:
- God so loved the world that He gave
- He so loved you that Christ died for you
- You are fearfully and wonderfully made and that your soul should know right well
- He wishes above all else that you prosper and be in good health as your soul (mind, will and emotions) prosper
- Jesus died for you to have not only eternal life in heaven, but an abundant life here on earth
- He said you can do all things thru Christ who strengthens you
- His grace is more than sufficient for you and His strength is made perfect in your weakness
- No weapon formed against you shall prosper and every tongue that rises up against you in judgment shall be condemned
- You should be confident that He hears you when you pray and If He hears you, you have the petitions in which you ask
- He is coming back sooner than you think.
Be Ready; Be Watchful; Be Sure of your foundation; and Be Careful what you build on it.